Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cover Letter Information

I have never written a cover letter so I did not know anything about them before reading these articles. There were several pieces of good advice in them that I will keep in mind when I write my cover letter. I think it is a good idea like the article "Sample Cover Letter" says to take the time to make the letter personal and specific to the strengths I have to offer and how they will benefit the company to which I am applying. I also liked the advice to be proactive in a job search. The articles said that companies will remember an applicant much more clearly if the applicant makes an effort to contact the company. I thought the idea in "The Postscript Technique" was odd; to add a note at the end seems slightly boastful to me, and not as effective as they claim, but I guess that is how you get what you want in the business world. I don't know that I would try that. I liked the advice to not use a cover letter as an excuse to sit back and be lazy, but instead to use it as directed marketing targeted at a specific audience. That seems much more effective than just making a very broad, general letter. Using a testimonial sounds like a good idea as well, if you can creatively work that into the body of the letter. The checklist will definitely be useful in the future when I am writing a cover letter. I think the majority of the information in these articles was helpful and I will most likely use it for my personal cover letter.

No comments: